Tips to build huge muscles
My friend and I recently had a discussion on points put forth by training experts such as Steve Holman of Ironman and John Hansen, world champion bodybuilder , which can be used by trainees like us in our quest for building bigger muscles. Here are some of those points which may be very helpful:
1. Your workout should be centered around basic movements such as bench presses, dips, squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, military press, close-grip bench press and biceps chinning.
2. Finish your workout within 60 minutes.
3. Steve Holman advocates partial kind of movements at the end of a couple of sets of basic exercise or even drop sets for a good burn. This facilitates maximum growth, he claims.
4. Holman also advocates the use of certain exercises which he calls ‘stretch position movements.’ Examples are wide-grip dips or flyes (for chest), sissy squats (for thighs), stiff-leg deadlift, overhead extension (for triceps), lying incline side laterals (for delts), pullover (for lats), incline dumbbell curl (for biceps). He advocates doing partials on these too.
5. As soon as you get up in the morning, drink a mix of fast-acting whey protein isolate, glutamine and some fast-acting carbohydrate to create an anabolic environment. One hour later, have a solid meal consisting of slow-acting protein and carbohydrate such as egg whites and oats.
6. Have a serving of whey isolate, casein and BCAA before a workout and immediately after a workout. Half-an-hour after training, have solid meal which may contain chicken breast or fish, brown rice and vegetables.
7. Eat 6 to 8 meals a day, each one providing 20 to 30 gm of protein, depending on the individual’s body weight. Carbohydrate intake should also be based on how much or how little that individual needs. This can be found out by keen observation on how the body changes to a diet plan. Do not get too fat.
8. Take supplements which are specifically formulated to curb the release of stress hormone cortisol.
9. Do perform cardio in the offseason, but do not go overboard – 2 to 3 sessions a week (each extending to 30 minutes) should be fine.
10. Ensure that you get at least 8 hours of sleep; some individuals grow better when they sleep for 10 hours, it seems.
– C. Lakshmi Kumar